Scuttlebutt Europe, July 18, 2017
Defender Proves Age Is Just A Number With Queen’s Cup Victory
Newport, Rhode Island, USA: Three and a half decades ago, the 12 Metre Defender left Newport under less than ideal circumstances, having failed in its campaign to represent the New York Yacht Club in the 1983 America’s Cup.
This summer, her return to competition has been an unqualified success. Earlier today, Dennis William’s skippered the restored 12 Metre to a win in the Queen’s Cup, knocking off a fleet of a dozen newer and more nimble raceboats to claim one of the New York Yacht Club’s most prestigious trophies.
The Queen’s Cup, which was first raced in 1953, is an anachronism. It’s just one race, rather than a series, and much longer than the traditionally hour-long windward-leeward races that are ubiquitous in modern big-boat racing. The 2017 Queen’s Cup course covered 6 legs and 16.2 miles, as the crow flies. The fastest boat took two hours and 11 minutes to complete the course; the slowest nearly three hours. There’s also the unique starting procedure, which allows each boat to pick it’s starting time within a two-minute window.
The 12 Metre class is seeing a resurgence of interest in advance of the class’s 2019 World Championship in Newport. — Stuart Streuli
1. Defender, 12 Metre, Dennis Williams, Newport, RI, USA
2. Temptation-Oakcliff , Ker 50, Arthur Santry, Oyster Bay, NY, USA
3. SPOOKIE, TP52, Steve & Heidi Benjamin, South Norwalk, CT, USA
4. Gladiator, TP52, Bernard Langley, Retford, Nottinghamshire, GBR
5. AFTER MIDNIGHT, CTM41, Paul Jeka, Atlantic Highlands, NJ, USA
6. Regina 2.0, Club Swan 42, Jacob Wallenberg, Stockholm, SWE
7. Entropy, Tripp 41, Patricia Young, Jamestown, RI, USA
8. Zaraffa, Reichel/Pugh Custom, Huntington Sheldon, Shelburne, VT, USA
9. Blazer (IRC), Swan 42, Christopher Culver, Newport, RI, USA
10. Cuordileone, Club Swan 50, Douglas Newhouse, Newport, RI, USA
Challenge 12, 12 metre, Jack LeFort, Jamestown, RI, USA , RET
Gold Digger, J 44, James D. Bishop, New York, NY, USA DNC
Stark Raving Mad VIII, C&C 30 OD, Jim Madden, Newport Beach, CA, DNF